Scrap Acceptance Policy
To ensure that we maintain our efficiency and recycle in an environmentally responsible manner, we need your help when preparing scrap metal for our facility. Please read up on our policy to make sure that we are doing our best to ensure your scrap is safe and ready for recycling. Metals that contain some of the following details cannot be recycled safely, and require some extra steps in order to be melted down. If you have any questions feel free to contact us during our office hours to discuss your options.
For environmental and safety reasons, please ensure your scrap metal does NOT contain any of the following:
- Combustible or explosive materials
- Paint or aerosol containers unless purged, punctures, and free of foreign material
- Gasoline, diesel, propane or other petroleum products or containers unless purged, punctured, and free of foreign material.
- Oil cans and un-punctured oil pans still on motor blacks
- Drums and paint cans of any size and type must be open, empty, and cleaned.
- 45-gallon drums must be empty, odour free and tops completely off.
- Closed Containers and cylinders including hydraulic cylinders.
- Cans that contain paint, water sealers, pesticides, or other toxic chemicals unless cleaned of toxic material.
- Asbestos of any kind (such as pipe insulation, surfacing material)
- Air conditioning and refrigeration units containing chlorofluorocarbons (CFC’s & HCFC’s) must provide proof of evacuation or freon removal charges will apply. ($15.00 CASH fee per unit) We do not charge or accept any roof top units that have not been drained, we will need proof of evacuation.
- PCB containing material such as capacitors, ballasts, and transformers.
- Automotive air bags containing sodium azide.
- Fluorescent or mercury vapor lights and related fixtures.
- Cathode ray tubes (CRT’s) and liquid crystal displays (LCD’s), or any commodity containing a CRT or LCD, such as computer monitors, laptop screens, and televisions.
- Radioactive materials and containers.
- Any material containing hazardous, special, or toxic substances, materials, or wastes.
- Nails, nuts, and bolts.
- Nonmetallic materials (Concrete, snow, water, wood, glass, plastic, or rubber)
- Closed fireproof safes.
- Shopping carts, rail, or city property must provide proof of permission of destruction.